Each student at the University of Illinois is assigned a primary provider. Your primary provider is generally who you will see when you have a “scheduled” appointment in the medical clinics.
You may choose to change your primary provider at any time while at the University. Just call McKinley Health Center at 217-333-2700.
You are able to develop a personal connection with your doctor, helping you feel more comfortable with the care and treatment provided by McKinley.
How to build your doctor-patient relationship
- Communicate openly and honestly with your doctor.
- Listen to each other.
- Plan ahead of time how you will describe your problem/symptoms. Give as much detail as possible.
- Have questions prepared to ask your doctor and be sure to ask questions during your visit.
- Know what medications or over-the-counter products you are currently taking.
- Repeat what your doctor has told you to be sure you understand your diagnosis, treatment, and/or follow up care.